16 Feb Valentine’s Day Pop Up Card: Twisting Hearts Tutorial
I hope everyone had a wonderful Valentine’s day. I know this is a few days late, but here are the instructions on how to make the twisting hearts popup card. Here are two images of the finished card. The hearts twist 90 degrees when the card is opened. This tutorial will have instructions on how to make both versions. Assembling the hearts so that they rotate is a little tricky so you will want to watch the video. I didn’t have time to edit this video down, so it’s a little long (16 min).
Here is the image of the card with the kissing couple:
Here is the image of the card with “I <3 You” in the center:
The instructions can be viewed in this video:
Here are step by step instructions:
- Purchase the template from the store here: Twisting Hearts Template.
- Use the templates to cut out the inside and outside of the card from card stock. You can view my tips on using templates post for more help.
- Score the card along the dotted lines as indicated. If you are using a knife to score, score the all lines on the back of the card except for the 2 vertical lines in the middle of the hearts. I have written “Score top” next to these lines. You will want to score on top of the card for these 2 lines.
- Fold the scored lines. For all of the lines where you scored the backside, you will want to fold the card upwards, or use a valley fold. Fold the 2 lines you scored on top, downwards, or use a mountain fold.
- This is where it’s a little tricky. You may want to watch the video for this. Fold the 2 sides of the cards inwards, while folding all of the lines you scored, and folded earlier, in the middle of the hearts. The hearts should twist 90 degrees as you fold the 2 sides inwards.
- Glue the tops of the hearts together.
- Insert the inside card into the outside cover using thee heart cutouts on each corner of the outside cover.
- Fold the flaps a few times back and forth to make the creases looser. This will make your card open up more consistently.
- For the “I <3 You” version, glue the parts on the side of the heart. I have also included letters if you want to glue your initials into the hearts.
- For the Kissing Couple version, glue the boy and girl to the side of the heart. You will want to test this using tape first. Make sure that the couple kisses when the card is opened. Fold the flaps a few times more if necessary. Once you have the couple aligned correctly, you can glue them in place. They boy’s foot may catch on the bottom of the card. You will want to glue the inside card to the backing at the point where the boy’s foot catches. This will help the boy’s foot slip over the edge of the inside card.
- Glue the hearts to the front side of the card and any other clip art to customize your card.
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial.