16 Feb Valentine’s Day Pop Up Card: Twisting Hearts Tutorial
Posted at 15:57h in Blog, Tutorials, Valentine's day Pop Up Cards 44 Comments
I hope everyone had a wonderful Valentine’s day. I know this is a few days late, but here are the instructions on how to make the twisting hearts popup card. Here are two images of the finished card. The hearts twist 90 degrees when the card is opened. This tutorial will have instructions on how to make both versions. Assembling the hearts so that they rotate is a little tricky so you will want to watch the video. I didn’t have time to edit this video down, so it’s a little long (16 min).
Here is the image of the card with the kissing couple:
Here is the image of the card with “I <3 You” in the center:
The instructions can be viewed in this video:
Here are step by step instructions:
- Purchase the template from the store here: Twisting Hearts Template.
- Use the templates to cut out the inside and outside of the card from card stock. You can view my tips on using templates post for more help.
- Score the card along the dotted lines as indicated. If you are using a knife to score, score the all lines on the back of the card except for the 2 vertical lines in the middle of the hearts. I have written “Score top” next to these lines. You will want to score on top of the card for these 2 lines.
- Fold the scored lines. For all of the lines where you scored the backside, you will want to fold the card upwards, or use a valley fold. Fold the 2 lines you scored on top, downwards, or use a mountain fold.
- This is where it’s a little tricky. You may want to watch the video for this. Fold the 2 sides of the cards inwards, while folding all of the lines you scored, and folded earlier, in the middle of the hearts. The hearts should twist 90 degrees as you fold the 2 sides inwards.
- Glue the tops of the hearts together.
- Insert the inside card into the outside cover using thee heart cutouts on each corner of the outside cover.
- Fold the flaps a few times back and forth to make the creases looser. This will make your card open up more consistently.
- For the “I <3 You” version, glue the parts on the side of the heart. I have also included letters if you want to glue your initials into the hearts.
- For the Kissing Couple version, glue the boy and girl to the side of the heart. You will want to test this using tape first. Make sure that the couple kisses when the card is opened. Fold the flaps a few times more if necessary. Once you have the couple aligned correctly, you can glue them in place. They boy’s foot may catch on the bottom of the card. You will want to glue the inside card to the backing at the point where the boy’s foot catches. This will help the boy’s foot slip over the edge of the inside card.
- Glue the hearts to the front side of the card and any other clip art to customize your card.
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial.
mientjePosted at 16:28h, 16 February
I like this card,its very beautiful
Michela by ItalyPosted at 17:27h, 16 February
Michela by ItalyPosted at 17:28h, 16 February
Ma non sono più gratis?
Creative RichPosted at 06:02h, 17 February
Sorry, they are not free anymore 🙁
marianne santosPosted at 07:39h, 18 February
do you still have free templates ?
Creative RichPosted at 11:35h, 20 February
Unfortunately, the templates are no longer free.
anthony bowenPosted at 14:32h, 17 October
oie yo quiero los moldes como hago
Gretcheina MyersPosted at 18:08h, 16 February
This is the coolest Valentine ever!!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!
Sue WPosted at 18:19h, 16 February
Love the card, Rich! ;oD Just got the files and will use this one next year. Used the other Valentine’s cards you did, this year, and they were a big hit! Thank you for all your hard and wonderful work.
BrendaPosted at 19:48h, 16 February
This is very pretty! Your tutorial is great. You are an excellent instructor.:)
SusanPosted at 22:15h, 16 February
I love the card. I think you are very good at what you do. Keep on inspiring us all and I look forward to you next tutorial.
Maria Isabel FrontanillaPosted at 05:54h, 17 February
Hi, I think this may sound kind of silly, but how can i buy this template? It’s on my cart already but i don’t know what else i should do. Help me please 🙂
prabhath pereraPosted at 10:31h, 17 February
its not free anymore.. but thanks lot for being able to take all templates ealy..
samPosted at 16:51h, 17 February
can i have those templates? please.. im just 13 years old. i cant afford those templates. but i wish to make them by myself. :(… last time i just printed it out and i didnt save it.. PLEASE?
robertaPosted at 17:16h, 17 February
this is really a wonderful card! It’s a pity you’ve posted it too late! I can use the template next year.
karlaPosted at 07:54h, 19 February
where to cut with the drawings
Creative RichPosted at 11:48h, 20 February
The template to this card can be found at the store: Template Store.
CrystalPosted at 20:54h, 20 February
can u plz make it free for a day i dont have a credit card and i am very good at art and i made the template myself but it got ripped so plz can u make it free i only need this template
P.S. YOU R SOO GOOD AT ART KEEP IT UP
suzyPosted at 18:25h, 29 February
how to get the template ?
LinhPosted at 01:40h, 06 March
tôi ? Vi?t Nam, tôi có th? tìm ki?m th? ? ?âu?
rajPosted at 08:46h, 17 June
Will you sale the cards or templates along?
Creative RichPosted at 09:04h, 17 June
Hi Raj. I only sell the templates. Thanks for visiting!
danielaPosted at 12:44h, 21 June
please I need the mold of 3D heart card to print
Creative RichPosted at 13:11h, 21 June
HI Daniela! You can purchase the template for this card here: Twisting hearts template.
okluverPosted at 12:22h, 14 August
ayudemne con los moldes que no se cuales son porfis
yarely peresPosted at 16:24h, 22 September
:C que mal :C necesito los moldes T_T
me urgen pero no puedo comprarlos :S :C
Priscilla LenPosted at 06:04h, 18 December
Hi, I would like to know the template is printed on A4 size paper?
Creative RichPosted at 08:01h, 18 December
Hi Priscilla, The templates are designed for 8.5″ x ll” paper, but it should be close enough for A4 sized paper.
LettPosted at 21:42h, 03 February
hw 2 by the model map?
moniPosted at 13:39h, 04 February
me podrias ayudar a ser la carta el q dice i love u
Vanesa castilloPosted at 13:46h, 04 February
this page is beautiful , i want free templates pleaseeee
emilyPosted at 03:58h, 06 February
i used the a-4 paper to have a try
but i found that it is too soft and the heart cannot “stand”
JeannePosted at 12:49h, 14 February
Hi Emily, try a thicker paper it would hold the heart up.
ElisaPosted at 15:58h, 25 August
ola, vc poderia enviar o molde pra o email firstname.lastname@example.org , sou do Brasil. Obrigada
ElisaPosted at 15:58h, 25 August
hello, could u send the template to the email email@example.com, I’m from Brazil. Thank you
CreativeRichPosted at 10:56h, 28 August
Hi Elisa, Can you email me your order number? Thanks!
ADILUPosted at 13:31h, 18 December
hola… disculpa aun vendes las plantillas… Me interesa mucho
Jocelyn VelasquezPosted at 16:19h, 20 January
i bought the template how can i download now?
CreativeRichPosted at 12:17h, 21 January
Hi Jocelyn, Please refer to the last 2 pages (10,11) of this document: How to purchase and download templates. Thanks!
quochuyPosted at 08:25h, 19 October
hello, could u send the template to the email firstname.lastname@example.org, I’m from Vietnam. Thank you
CreativeRichPosted at 11:30h, 20 October
Hi Quochuy, Please send me your order number and I can help you download the file. Thanks!
shonikaPosted at 00:04h, 10 February
hello..am not getting the twist in the middle of hearts.up to which point i need to move scissor?hearts are cut up to point or jus above the point?plz xpln..
CreativeRichPosted at 08:00h, 10 February
Hi Shonika, I don’t quote understand the problem yo are having. I hope the video helps.
Michael john MirandaPosted at 09:54h, 14 February
How do I go about getting this