30 Jan Valentine’s Day Pop Up Card: Kissing Couple Tutorial *Updated*
Hi Everyone! Here is an updated tutorial on making the Valentine’s Day Kissing Couple Pop Up Card. This pop up card features a boy and girl in the center of the card, surrounded by a bouquet of flowers. As you open the card, the boy and girl move toward each other and kiss. This is a very cute card because it actually moves as you open it, which makes it a very unique and impressive card. It’s always been one of my favorite cards to make. The first time I made this card was in 2008 and since then, I’ve made a few improvements. Recently, I updated the template so that it’s easier to assemble. Here’s what the card looks like:
Here is an animation of the pop up card. You have to see the card in action to appreciate the moving pieces.
I’ve added a backing to the card and slots for the center popup pieces. Therefore, you do not need any glue to assemble this card. Also, the couple in the center requires much less adjusting to get them to kiss perfectly.
Here is an updated video tutorial on how to make this Valentine’s day pop up card:
For those of you who don’t want to watch the video, here is an abridged version of the instructions that is pinnable on Pintrest.
If you prefer to read detailed instructions on how to make this pop up card, then follow these steps below:
1. Purchase the template for this design here: Valentine’s Day Pop Up Card: Kissing Couple. If you have already purchased the template in the past, just download it again and you’ll get the new updated version. Print out the template. Use the template to cut out all the parts out of card stock. Here is a tutorial on how to use templates. Fold the “boy” and “girl” at the dotted lines and insert the bottom tabs into the slots in the inside card as shown in image 1 above.
2. Fold the “bouquet” of hearts at the dotted lines. Note that there are two sets of tabs at the bottom or inside of the piece. Look for the smaller, connected tab as shown in image 2 and insert it in the inside card in front of the couple.
3. Image 3 shows what the smaller tab looks like after it is inserted into the inside card. Insert the larger tabs into the opposite slot. The tabs are separate so you will need to carefully push them together, in order to fit them in the slot.
4. Fold the inside card down the center. Tape the tabs down as shown in image 4.
5. At the ends of the “bouquet” of hearts, fold the hearts down the center along the dotted lines and slot the two hearts together as shown in image 5. Make sure that the heart halves are on the inside of the ring. You can glue these heart tabs down if you like.
6. Insert the corners of the inside card into the outside card as shown in image 6.
7. Image 7 shows the card fully assembled with all corners of the inside card inserted into the outside card.
8. Finally, glue the extra hearts around the “bouquet” of hearts as shown in image 8. You can alternate from solid and outlined hearts. Then you can glue the “Happy Valentine’s Day” text at the top of the card.
9. Open and close the card to make sure the couples kiss in the center. You can adjust each person by bending them slightly forward or backward so that their heads/lips meet in the center.
If you like this popup card, then click here for the template: Valentine’s Day Pop Up Card: Kissing Couple.
Please leave a comment below if you enjoyed this tutorial on how to make the Kissing Couples Pop Up card.