12 Feb Tunnel of Love Pop Up Card for Valentines day
Happy Valentine's day! Here is a new pop up card design I made for Valentine's day that I titled, “Tunnel of Love”. This is what the card looks like.
The video below shows the card in action:
This card has a couple in love, taking a romantic boat ride, through a tunnel of heart arches. I was a little inspired by The Little Mermaid, which is one of my daughter's favorite Disney cartoons. To surround the couple in love, I created the arches around them to form a tunnel. The arches were originally just an outline of a heart without the smaller hearts. I added the smaller hearts to give the arches a little more detail. If you are curious, here is what my design looked like using 3D CAD modeling.
Further, I designed this card so that it is easy to assemble. All you need is some tape to hold down the tabs underneath each of the pieces. Therefore, once you cut out all the pieces, you can put this card together in less than 10 minutes.
Valentine's Day Pop Up Card Tutorial
Here is a video tutorial on how to make the pop up card:
If you want to read the DIY instructions on making this popup card please follow the steps below:
- Purchase and download the template for this design here: Tunnel of Love Pop Up Card Template.
- Next, cut out all of the pieces either using an x-acto knife by hand or you can use a cutting machine.
- Start by folding the “lovers” piece down the center and fold the tabs down.
- Then, insert the tabs of the “lovers” piece into the 2 slots in the bottom of the boat piece. Make sure that the slots form an arrow pointing downward. As a result, the left slot goes from top to bottom and the slot on the right goes from bottom to top (moving from left to right). The girl should be on the left side.
- Use a small amount of tape to hold the tabs down on the bottom of the boat.
- Fold and insert the 2 side tabs on the boat bottom, into the inside card, which is blue in my example.
- Next, fold all of the dotted lines on the piece for the sides of he boat. Note that you will have 2 sides that overlap and will be inserted into the same slot on the inside card (blue). Bend the tabs under the slots and secure them with tape.
- Crease the center of the heart arches and its tabs. Insert the tabs of the arches into the slots on the inside card (blue). Again, secure the tabs with tape.
- Fold the inside card and make sure that all of the pieces fold flat. Keep in mind that the “lovers” piece should move downward when you close the card. Refer to the video for more details.
- Insert the corners of the inside card into the outside card corners.
- Add any additional clip art like hearts, “Happy Valentine's Day,” or “I love you.”
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. Let me know what you think in the comments below!
Happy Valentine's Day!