17 Jun Housewarming or Father’s Day pop up card: Barbecue Grill Tutorial and Template
Here is the tutorial and template for the barbecue grill pop up card. As mentioned earlier, this card can be used for Father's day, a housewarming, Memorial Day, Independence Day, or any other party that has a barbecue grill. The following instructions will show you how to make this popup card. If this is a Fathers day card, you may want to customize it by putting some of his favorite grilling foods into the grill. Or, you can write some meaningful words inside like, “Dad, you're the best cook in the world!” Here is a picture of the finished card.
Here is the instructional video showing how to make the pop up card.
The transcript can be found here: Housewarming, Father's Day Pop Up Card tutorial transcript
Here are detailed instructions on how to make the card:
- Purchase the template for this design here: Housewarming, Father's Day Pop Up Card template.
- Print out the template and cut out all the pieces from the template. Here are tips for using templates to cut out the design in your desired cardstock: How to use templates to make a pop up card.
- Use black cardstock to cut out the grill and words. Then you can cut the steak out of red cardstock and the rest out of white. The white pieces will be colored later. You can also cut the steaks out of white cardstock and color it as well.
- Crease the scored areas on the grill. Make sure that the folds are easy to bend. Don't forget to fold the handles on the lid and on the sides.
- Glue the sides together. Put glue on the side flaps. Only glue the top and bottom edge of the flap so you are careful not go glue the side handles. Fold the card down the center to make sure that the flaps are aligned.
- The next step is to glue the handle at the top. Put a small amount of glue on the handle and fold them together. Now glue the side handles together by gluing the small tab that's on the end of one of the side handle halves.
- Assemble the grilling top surface by sliding the tabs around the base of the grill lid as shown below.
- Then fold the lid down and match the front slots together.
- Before attaching the grill to the backing of the card, cut off the outside frame as shown below
- Now cut apart the bottom of the grill. This will allow the grill to fold easier after its attached to the backing.
- Cut the card backing 6 ¼” x 9″ to fit in a standard card envelop. Score and fold the card across the center.
- Glue the grill to the center of the card. First glue one side to the card, then apply glue to the other side and fold the card to make sure the card folds flat. This will also help align the card.
- The next step is to color the utensils and food. Use a silver marker to color the fish knife blade, fork prongs and the tong ends. Then Use a brown marker to color the drum sticks and utensil handles.
- Position all of the parts on the card first. This will make gluing the pieces easier. Squeeze a blob of glue on a scratch piece of paper and then smear out the blob of glue into a thin layer. Gently place each piece on the thin layer of glue. This will make sure that you don't put too much glue on the parts. Glue all the utensils on the card and the food into the grill.
The card is now finished. Be careful when opening and closing the lid.