26 May Free Father’s Day Pop Up Card Tutorial and Template
Here is the tutorial for the free Father’s Day pop up card. This is similar to the Mother’s Day card I made a few weeks ago. This card is easy enough for anyone to make. I think in general, more people make cards for mothers than they do for fathers. Hopefully this will change because I love getting hand made cards. I’ll have to wait a few more years before my baby can make me a card.
Here are a few more pictures of the simple Father’s Day popup card:
I struggled to think of a universal symbol for dad. I ended up using a tie. I know it’s a little generic but you can customize the tie with different patterned papers or you can even color the tie with stripes. I made this card with a purple and fuchsia tie to add color to the card. The ties look a tad small but I have larger versions you can cut out. I will probably make other items like a fishing pole or baseball cap so that you can customize this design.
Here is a video with instructions on how to make this pop up card:
To get the template for FREE, please subscribe to my website below:
Once you confirm your email, you will receive an email with a link to the template.
Here are written instructions on making this pop up card:
- Print out the template.
- Cut out the card backing using the template. You can use these instructions on using templates.
- Then cut out the words “I” and “DAD” using the template. In the video, I used repositionable glue to hold the template to the card stock. After attaching the template to the card stock, fold the letters down the center so that you only see one copy of “I” and “DAD.” To cut out the centers of the “D”‘s, you can use an X-acto knife or simply cut through the bottom of the letters, making sure you cut through the bottom tabs. When you glue the tabs to the card backing it will keep the “D” together. If this is not clear, refer to the video. I use an X-acto knife to cut out one “D” and I cut through the bottom of the tabs for the other “D”.
- Make sure you score all of the dotted lines so that they fold easily.
- Position the “I”, “heart” and “DAD” in the center of the card backing. Then glue the “I” and “DAD” to the card backing. Make sure that the tabs at the bottom of the letters are scored and fold easily. Keep the letters folded down the center line and apply glue to the outside of the tabs. Glue the tabs as close to the center fold of the card backing as possible. Again, make sure that the bottom tabs are well scored and fold easily. Otherwise, the tabs will pull away from the card backing when you open the card. Also, do not apply too much glue, otherwise, the glue will squeeze out and get your letters all messy.
- Cut out and glue the red heart to the “D”.
- Cut out the ties from colored or patterned paper. You can draw stripes or make your own pattern on the ties. Then glue the ties down to the card backing at the top of the tie.
I hope you enjoyed making this simple Father’s day pop up card.