12 Feb Easy Valentine’s Day Pop Up Card: Linked Hearts Tutorial
It's Valentine's day and you're meeting your date in an hour and you didn't get her a card. What do you do? Do you go to the supermarket and buy one of the few cards left that no one wants? Or, do you make a pop up card to impress her. You may think that an hour is not enough time to make a card. Yes, most of the cards on my website require more than an hour to make, but here's a “last minute” card that you can make in less than 20 min, assuming you have some cardstock, an X-acto knife and some glue. This card is very easy to make. There are 2 versions of the Linked Hearts pop up card. The basic version has 2 hearts that stand up and are linked in the center. The second version has initials in the heart, which makes the card a little more personal. The template will have both versions. Here is what the card looks like:
Take a look at the card in action:
Here is the video of the tutorial:
Here are the summarized instructions:
- Purchase the template for this design here: Easy Valentine's Day Pop Up Card: Linked Hearts.
- Print out the template. Use the template to cut the parts out of card stock.
- Tape the template onto the cardstock you would like to use.
- Score the areas with the dotted lines.
- Using a knife, cut the solid lines. One of the hearts will have a detached “arm.”
- Fold the scored lines.
- Pass the detached arm of one of the hearts through the other solid heart.
- Match the slots in the heart arm like this:
- Cut out 2 outside cover hearts from the second page of the template.
- Glue the outside cover hearts over the holes created by the hearts in the main card. Make sure that you glue the detached arm to the outside cover. Use very little glue on the outsides of the cover hearts so that the glue does not pass through the hole and get on the inside of the card. Too little glue is easy to fix, too much glue can be a disaster.
- If you want to make the second version with the letters inside the hearts, then roughly cut out the initials from pages 3 and 4 of the template.
- Tape the initials to the main template before making any cuts. Align the heart that encircles the initial to the inside of the heart on the card. Make note that the initial on the heart with the detached arm will face up and the initial on the other heart will face down (it will be backwards). Make sure that both initials are NOT facing up; one must face down.
- After cutting the initials out, follow the same instructions as the basic version.
I hope this card was easy for everyone to make. Happy Valentine's Day! Let me know how your significant other liked the card you made.