02 Sep Birthday Pop up card: Simple Cupcake Tutorial
Here is the tutorial and template for the birthday cupcake popup card. These instructions show you how to make the simple cupcake pop up card. I have made 2 versions of this card: one that only needs a pair of scissors to cut the card, and the other that would need a craft knife or a cutting machine. Cupcakes seem to be the “in” dessert, so I figure I'd make a pop up version. I couldn't decide what colors to use for this cupcake. Like real cupcakes, you can customize this card however you like. You can add some sprinkles, candy, or anything else (paper versions, of course!) to make it your own. So here's what my pop up card looks like:
Here is a video that shows instructions on how to make a birthday cupcake pop up card:
Here is the step by step tutorial:
- Purchase the template for this design here: Simple birthday cupcake pop up card template.
- Print out the template.
- Fold a sheet of card stock in half (the color you want to use for the cupcake bottom).
- Cut out the template for the main cupcake piece and tape it to card stock.
- Cut out the main cupcake piece, starting with the lines on the bottom of the cupcake.
- Cut out the frosting, cake and candle from the colored card stock of your choice using the rest of the template.
- Take an 8.5″x11″ sheet of card stock, and cut the width down to 4.5″. You will have a 4.5″x11″ sheet of cardstock for your card base.
- Fold the card in half. You may want to score the card first before folding. Score the card by using a knife and very lightly making a very shallow cut down the line you want to fold.
- Fold the main cupcake piece at the dotted lines at the bottom of the cupcake. The folds should be inwards toward the center as shown below. The picture below shows a folded template, but obviously, folds it on your cardstock. You may want to score this fold as well.
- Glue one side of the cupcake down to the card. Only glue the area between the two creases.
- Glue the candles at the top of the main cupcake piece together
- This is an optional tip, but cut the bottom of cupcake apart, separating the two halves at the bottom.
- Then apply glue to the second half of the cupcake bottom, making sure only to glue below the fold.
- Fold the card to attach the cupcake to the other half of the card base.
- Open the card and make sure that the card unfolds correctly.
- If you use the candle cut outs, you can cut off the existing candle on the cupcake and glue the new cut outs in place.
- Glue the cake ovals.
- Glue the frosting.
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. Please let me know how your card turned out. I'm going to post the detailed version of this cupcake birthday pop up card next.