04 Sep Birthday Pop Up Card: Detailed Cupcake Tutorial
This is the tutorial for the detailed version of the birthday cupcake popup card. This version is a little more advanced than the simple version because the design requires you to be skilled with an X-acto knife or have a cutting machine. I've also included a few more versions of the parts so that the cake is more customizable. For example, the cupcake can have frosting with sprinkles or stars on them. I have numbered candles so you can make the card for someone at any age. Here are some images of a card I made for a 21 year old.
The instructions for how to make the cupcake pop up card are in the video below:
Here are written instructions for the tutorial.
- Purchase the template for this design here: Detailed Birthday Cupcake Pop Up Card Template.
- Print out the template and use it to cut out the center card, oval cake parts, frosting, candles, flames and other pieces you want to decorate your cupcake with. Here are tips for using templates to cut out the design in your desired cardstock: How to use templates to make a pop up card.
- Fold the 2 halves of the cupcake for the center of the card up.
- Glue the top of the cupcake together. Fold the card flat to make sure it is aligned.
- Assemble the inside card to the outside cover at the four corners.
- Glue the candles with your chosen numbers.
- Glue the cake ovals.
- If you chose the frosting with the sprinkles or the stars, cut another piece of colored paper to put behind the frosting. This will add color to the sprinkles or stars and will also block the background color of the cake ovals and the center card.
- Glue the frosting on.
- Glue the flames on the candles.
- Glue any extra parts for the lettering inside the card.
- Glue any extra parts, such as the text, “Happy Birthday” to the outside of the card.
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial.