11 May Mother’s Day Photo Frame Pop Up Card Tutorial
For this year's Mother's Day card, I made a pop-up flower picture frame. I wanted to incorporate my daughter into my Mother's Day cards for my wife and mom becausae she is such a big part of my life now. What better way to do so than to include a picture of her in the card. Instead of buying a picture frame, or having your mom buy a picture frame, you can make this flower frame card and and insert a 4″x6″ photo in it. All your mom has to do is open the card and it will stand by itself and display the photo. This is an ideal Mother's day card for those moms who you will send a card to because they live far away. I know my mom would much rather receive a hand made pop up card than a store bought Hallmark card. She will be even more excited when she sees a picture of her and her granddaughter. This card can also be used as a Valentine's day card or Birthday card for that special person.
I made 2 flower photo frame Mother's Day cards: one for my mom and one for my wife. The card is very easy to make and can be decorated many different ways to show off your creativity. There is another pop up frame in front of the picture that says “Happy Mother's Day”. Here are what the cards looks like.
For my wife's card, I framed the photo with flowers of many colors and shapes. This is one of her favorite pictures with our Mikayla.
For my mom's card, I framed the photo with 6 elegant roses.
The tutorial on how to make this popup card is shown below:
I have also written instructions on how to make this card below:
- Purchase the template for this card here: Flower Photo Frame Pop Up Card Template.
- Cut out the inside and outside card (page 1 and page 2) using card stock of your choice in color. For instructions on how to use templates to cut out pieces for your card, click here: using printed templates. I recommend scoring the lines where you will need to fold.
- Fold the inside card along the dotted lines so that its shape resembles the images shown above. Insert the front tab into the bottom of the card. Tape the tab in place on the back side.
- Choose a 4″x6″ photo to use in the frame. Position the photo inside the frame and tape in place. You may want to cut ~1-2mm (1/8″) off the top or bottom of the photo so that there is a little clearance around the photo. This will make sure the card folds flat and doesn't interfere with the folds. Make sure the inside card folds flat. Reposition the photo if necessary.
- Fold he outside card in half along the dotted line. Insert the corners of the inside card into the diagonal slots in the outside card. Make sure that the 2 window cut outs are at the bottom of the card. These cut-outs can be folded inwards, behind the photo to secure the frame upright when opened and on display.
- Decorate the frame with the flowers as desired. Make sure you do not glue the frame down by accident while gluing the flowers. I would recommend using tweezers to glue the flowers because it is easy to get glue on your fingers, and you will inevitably smudge glue on the photo. You should also position all your flowers first before gluing them all down permanently.
- To make the rose, cut out the rose and fold along the dotted lines. Glue the stem inside the bottom of the rose.
- Cut out any text and glue them to the front pop up ledge as shown in the images above.
You can be very creative in the way you decorate the frame. If you have a blog, I would love to see how you decorated your card. Please leave a link to your decorated card below in the comments. I hope you all have a wonderful Mother's Day!