In this tutorial, I will show you how to make a Mother’s day pop up card of a bouquet of flowers. This card design can be used for many other occasions. This card would make a nice wedding card, especially if you match the flowers with the bride’s favorite flowers. Or, this card can be used for a nice Valentine’s Day card by making only roses. This card can also be used as a birthday pop up card as well. This post will have instructions which will teach you how to make the flowers and the vase. This design has 3 kinds of flowers: roses, daisies and stargazer lilies. The design of the card is simple, but cutting and painting the flowers may take you some time. This card is very customizable by arranging your own bouquet. Here is a picture of the card:
Here is the video tutorial for making the flower bouquet pop up card:
The transcript of the video can be found here: Transcript of Mothers Day Pop Up Card Flower Bouquet Tutorial.
Here are detailed instructions on how to make the card:
- Purchase the template for this design here: Flower Bouquet Pop Up Card Template.
- Print out the template.
- Next, cut out the template’s pattern onto a sheet of white card stock. Note the locations where you need to score (fold) the card.
You can leave the flowers all white if you like, which gives it a more artistic look. But if you want to paint the flowers, paint the flowers before separating the flowers from the card stock. This is easier than painting loose parts.
- Paint the steps green first.
- Then pain the flowers starting with the lighter colors. Color the center of the daisies yellow. Note that the centers are the small circles on the side of the flower. Paint the stargazer pistil and Stamens yellow. Then paint the tips of the pistils and stamens or the stigma and anther orange.
- Paint the stargazer petals purple, leaving the edges white
- Paint the roses red.
- Paint the daisies pink.
- Paint dark purple dots on the stargazer lily’s petals.
- While the flowers are drying, cut out 2 pieces of the backing to the card in the color of your choice. Cut them 4.5″x 6″. There is no template for this part.
- Cut out the inside of the card using the template provided, making sure you score the areas that will be folded.
- Glue the card backing to the inside of the card. Use Elmers glue for the edge of the card near the fold, then a glue stick for the rest of the card to reduce wrinkling. Place a clean sheet of paper behind the place you will glue to prevent extra glue from getting on the other parts of the card. Align and glue the other card backing.
- Then fold all of the places that were scored. You may want to rescore the attachment tabs a little more to make sure it bends easily.
- Weed or separate all of the flowers from the card stock. There should be 10 flowers total
- Assemble the flowers. Start with the daisies by gluing the center yellow circle to the center of the flower.
- Fold the rose petals. Follow the score lines and fold the strip of petals rolling them backward. Glue the petals in place. This is what the folds look like.
- For the stargazer, fold the 2 connected petals forward and one petal back. Make sure you fold the 2 stargazer lilies mirror symmetric because they will face opposite directions. Glue the petals in place. The third stargazer does not need to be folded.
- Arrange the flowers the way you want them to look when assembled.
- Next, separate the front row with the back.
- Trim the flower stems from the bottom row, measuring the length against the vase bottom.
- Trim the extra leaves off of all flowers. This will make the vase look cleaner.
- Start on the front row, making sure to face the flowers down, glue 2 roses. Use a piece of paper to prevent any stray glue or paint to get on the rest of the card.
- Next, glue the unfolded stargazer and 2 daisies. Remember, the front of the flower faces down.
- Rotate the card over and arrange the back row.
- Cut off the extra stems.
- Then glue 2 stargazers, with the front of the flower facing up.
- Then glue the center rose.
- And lastly, glue the 2 daisies.
- Here is what the flowers look like all glued in:
- The final step is to assemble the card. Slide the 2 side slots together as shown.
- Make sure the card folds flat.
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial, and I hope all your loving mothers love your card!